Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Do we really need the skeleton?

Okay, I am getting ready for a yard sale. Now I am sitting on a bit of a catch 22. On one hand my husband isn't here to tell me that these curtains from the 80's hold a special sentimental attachment for him. So they are gone. On the other hand, he isn't here to give me his blessing to get rid of about a dozen other things that I think should go but I am afraid he will actually notice are missing.

Now where does the skeleton come in to all of this? There is actually a skeleton, plastic not real, sitting in the upstairs office. I don't know where it came from, but I know that I cannot get rid of that. It is one of the things that he will notice is missing.

We have things that should go, but he won't let go. Like two love seat size couches that once belonged to his mother and have seen better days. In order to get rid of some of the umpteen million spare Christmas decorations I have in the storage area, I have to climb over the two couches, several dozen empty boxes, and a truck hood!

I have things that I can't seem to let go of either, like a brand new couch that is sitting in the storage area too. I keep hoping that I can replace the monstrosity in the living room with that and a new recliner for the hubby. I dream of the day that I can change the layout of the living room as needed.

I suppose that we all have our pack rat tendencies, but ours are out of hand. I have vowed to take time over the next two weeks and go through boxes of papers and get rid of anything that is not financially necessary, and file the rest in a way that it can easily be accessed in the future.

I am also going to ship all of the material that I have collected for sewing projects that I will never actually do, to my mother. She will use the material. I hate sewing so much that I have accepted the fact that I never will.

As for all of the yarn, craft, and scrap booking materials....those I will keep. The way my mother uses scrap material, I use up scrap yarn. There will be a project that I will be able to use it for. I may get rid of a good many books though to make room on the shelves for the crafty things. I think there is a used book store in town where I can trade them in.

I am declaring war on clutter. This yard sale is just the first shot!

No comments: